@font-face, @font-face encountered unknown error, @font-face failed OpenType embedding Permission check. Permission must be Installable, Dynamics 365, Dynamics 365 graphic icons missing in Internet Explorer, internet Explorer graphic icons
Recently, one fine day when I logged into my server to check a functionality in CRM; I noticed something very strange. I couldn’t find the Advance Find button! Not only that button was missing, all the rest ribbon buttons on the right were missing including – Global Search, Recently Viewed Items, Add new, Settings and Help. Though the functionality were still available as I could click in the designated area of missing icons and continue with the action.
The things got a little more scary when I ran my personalised report and noticed all the report icons were missing too, instead there were replaced by alphabetical letters.
I knew something went wrong with the CRM Icons. To double confirm, I even opened Report Server and found the similar missing Icons from the ribbon.
As a first thought that would click anyone would be – Did something went wrong with the _imgs folder or certain specific subfolder under _imgs folder has missing access permissions? I cross-checked most of the basic ones but couldn’t find any difference from my other environment.
Then the second alternative for us developers are Developer Tools (F12). Initially, I tried to cross check the reference icons and I was able to find them all under _imgs folder. But later, when I reloaded the main page under developer tools, I found the error:
@font-face encountered unknown error.
@font-face failed OpenType embedding Permission check. Permission must be Installable
I found the same error with Reports and Report-Server page load under Developer Tools(F12).
So basically, these icons were font icons and were having problems to load only while using Internet Explorer. B’coz when I checked the same in other browsers, it was all fine. I read about the error in detail and found the 3 main causes for CRM right navigation doesn’t display the icons.
- Blocking Untrusted Fonts Feature is configured in Windows 10
- Allow Font Downloads GPO is disabled
- Antivirus prevents the font icons from displaying
Not to much surprise, Microsoft recommends to switch to Edge to avoid these font-face problems. However, I was determine to use IE so I went ahead to check and fix the Windows feature instead.
I opened registry editor – regedit.exe in my server and browse to the following location:
I checked the value for the MitigationOptions and it’s value was set to 1000000000000 (in Hexadecimal) which means the feature was turned ON. In order to turn OFF this feature, I had to set it’s value to 2000000000000 (in Hexadecimal). After setting the values I restarted my server and voila, my font-face icons were back!! 😀
Microsoft article on the same here for reference. Hope this would be helpful to someone. Thanks!